Advising Help for Graduate Students


Please come to your advising meeting prepared with a draft TDCP form, which lists what classes you will take Spring Qtr, and then what classes you'll need to take in the next several years to graduate.

If you are already scheduled for an appointment with me, but have not done this yet, I'd be happy to reschedule your appt.

Several students have mentioned they had trouble using the software on prime to schedule their classes. It appeared that many can't properly see the csv file in Excel. What you need to do is use Excel's import function from the file menu. If you import the output of Dr. Juedes's program as a csv file, it will properly format in Excel.

Here are some useful links to help you complete your TDCP:

Using Dr. Juedes's software on prime (note this was emailed to all EECS students Feb 15):

Dear EE and CS undergraduates,

In an effort to help you complete your TDCP's, we have created some q2s scheduling software. It is now availalble in the CS labs (107/307 Stocker). If you do not have an account on these machines (or you forgot your password), contact John Tysko.

To run the q2s scheduling software, first get a text version of your DARS report. You can get a text version of your DARS report by going to This link for DARS, and saving your DARS report "page" as a text file. Name it [Your PID].dars.

To run the q2s scheduling software, open a terminal and go to the directory that contains your DARS report. Then, simply type "q2s" in a terminal. It will ask you for the name of the file that contains your DARS report and the number of credit hours that you wish to schedule per semester (e.g., 16 or 20). It will then allow you to enter the classes you plan to take in the spring/summer and it will allow you to select how you plan to complete your degree.

When the software finishes, it creates a text version of a schedule in a file called "PID.csv" that can be opened as an EXCEL spreadsheet. (There are a number of other log files that it creates as well. In the CSV file, it will place the courses that you plan to take in the spring, as well as the generate semester.]

You may run the software as many times as you wish. It is not perfect (it won't schedule Tier II courses, for example), but it should give you a good start for your TDCP.

---Best Regards,
---David W. Juedes, Chair, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Advising FAQ for CS majors

The information contained herein can not be taken to be the last word on these subjects. The information is being provided as a service to help you in your course of studies. Be sure to check with your advisor frequently for the most accurate and up-to-date information. Also, if you find anything on this page that you feel is wrong or misleading, please do not hesitate to me corrections.

Now get your DARS on-line

Get your DARS on-line

Note: the on-line DARS available to students does NOT contain your RAC code.

General comments

All the documents available from the main EECS office have web versions. Take a look at the documents page of our school's web site for a list of the documents available.

Take the main programming series as soon as possible (CS240ABC). Also be sure to take CS361 soon, as this is also a prerequisite for almost all the 400 level courses.

A good source of information is your DARS report, but be sure to read it carefully. Ask your advisor for help if there is something you don't fully understand.

If you have any questions about the scheduling of classes, ALWAYS use the on-line schedule available at Course Offerings. If you click on a particular class, you can also obtain a quick description of the course.

Tier III Courses

The latest on Tier III (as of 10/05) is that if you take CS456 after this fall, it will count as a Tier III course.

CO-OP Program

The CO-OP program. program is a five-year program that combines classroom learning with paid, career-related work experience. Participating students alternate periods of on-campus study with roughly equal periods of worksite experience according to established schedules. Students gain experience that will give them a competitive edge upon graduation while earning money and academic credit.

Co-op is an optional program available to all CS students enrolled in the Russ College of Engineering & Technology. For more information please visit the College's CO-OP program home page.


If you have not taken CS230, you will need to get a pink slip from your advisor to get into CS240A. The purpose of requiring this is to make sure you are adequately prepared to take CS240A successfully.

Science requirement

Students must take a year long sequence of either physics (PHY 251, 252, 253) or chemistry (CHEM 151, 152, and 153 or 123). Students planning on taking option E to satisfy the foreign language requirement should take the above physics sequence to satisfy the prerequisite for the EE courses.

In addition to this, students must take one additional natural science course required for students in that discipline. A list of approved courses is available in the computer science office, or online.

Foreign Language Requirement

All students are required to take one year of a foreign language. After that, students may take one additional year of the same or different language (option L), or EE313, EE314, EE304, and Math 340 (Option E). International students, whose native language is not English, can satisfy two years of the language requirement by demonstrating competence in English (normally through ENG 151).

If you plan on taking the option E, (replacing a year of foreign language requirement with some EE and math courses), you should know that the EE courses have as a prerequisite the basic PHYSICS sequence(PHYSICS 251, 252, and 253). If you want this option, you should begin to take these physics courses in your freshman year.

If you took 1 year of foreign language in high school you get no credit towards satisfying the foreign language requirement for CS. You must take at least one year of a college foreign language, and then have the choice of either option L or E.

If you took 2, or 3 years of foreign language in high school you get 1 year of credit towards satisfying the foreign language requirement for CS. In this case, you have the choice of either option L or E.

If you took 4 or more years of foreign language in high school you get 2 years credit towards satisfying the foreign language requirement for CS, and thus have fully satisfied this requirement.

If your DARS report does not contain credit for your high school foreign language classes, you should see the Student Records Coordinator in Stocker Engineering Center to update the information.

Prerequisites for EE courses

The prerequisites for CS majors for EE222 is CS240C, you DO NOT have to take the entire EE series to be prepared for EE222.

The prerequisites for CS majors for EE367 is that CS320 should be taken before or concurrently with EE367.

Philosophy courses

PHIL 120: Even though it is philosophy, it is classified as a math course and does not help in fulfilling the Humanities distribution requirement. Students can take this course as a free elective.

David M. Chelberg <>
Last modified: Thu Mar 1 11:27:36 EST 2012